AZTWS Board Meeting
January 23, 2017
Attendees: Scott Sprague (President), Kay Nicholson (President-elect), Mike Sorum (Recording Secretary), Tiffany Sprague (Board Member), Dana Warnecke (Treasurer), Andrew Jones, Chris Carrillo (Membership).
Not Present: Holly Hicks, Dean Pokrajac, Callie Hartson.
Approval of the January 4th, 2017 Board Meeting minutes (All)
• Tiffany motioned. Kay seconded. Motion Carried.
Treasurers Report (Dana)
• Paid for award plaques.
• Recycling plastic covers for nametags.
• Photo awards budget.
Newsletter Report (Tiffany & Kay)
• Will be sent out by tonight or tomorrow after edits.
Elections Committee Report (Kay)
• Ballots have been emailed Awards Committee Report (Kay)
• Award plaques are done.
• Before the JAM, a letter of award will be sent to recipients that may not attend otherwise. Letters will be sent to all awardees after the JAM.
Membership Report (Chris and Scott)
• Officer membership (Scott)
- Received a notice from National indicating a couple of board member memberships were expired. Have been resolved except Ryan.
- Remove Ryan from list of officers for quick resolution of issue. Mike motioned. Dana seconded. Motion approved.
- Tiffany to create bylaw wording for board member removal.
Webmaster’s Report (Dean and Scott)
• Payment of Arizona chapter dues is sometimes not included on the National database.
• Some are paying dues through JAM registration.
• Need Pay-pal report to determine those paid.
Annual report (Scott)
• Due to National by January 31st.
• Membership report to Chris.
• Contact Dean, Callie, Stan for reports.
Opportunities Report (Callie)
• Not present
Student Liaison Report (Holly)
• Not present
Continuing Education Survey (Mike)
• No update.
Legislative Update (Mike)
• Lobbyist needs to be registered with the Secretary of State.
• May not be necessary as a representative can provide scientific information as needed at the discretion of the board.
• National TWS guidelines restrict lobbying to 5% of revenue.
• Suggest board votes to address an issue of concern as the board is the representative of the membership. An appointed representative could testify at legislative committee hearings on behalf of the society.
• Business Meeting Reports
• Volunteer opportunities-stuffing envelopes.
• Planning call on Wednesday February 1st.
• SWAG table may not be available.
• Small numbers registered for mobile apps and interview workshop.
• Flyers for workshops, photo contest.
• Quiz Bowl winner.
• Waiting on committee reports.