AZTWS Board Meeting
Conference Call Meeting Minutes
January 16, 2018
Attendees: Kay Nicholson (President), Tiffany Sprague (President Elect), Jessica Moreno (Corresponding Secretary), Valerie Horncastle (Recording Secretary), Andrew Jones (Treasurer) Audrey Owens (Board Member), Scott Sprague (Past President)
Board Members Absent: Holly Hicks (Board Member)
- Dean will send credentials to Jessica
- Kay will send Jessica past meeting minutes to post on the website
- Jessica will send webmaster report to Kay
- Jessica will create sign for JAM advertising the new membership portal – Potentially set up sample profile to display on screen
- Kay will send out announcement for donating to scholarship fund
- The PayPal link should be reposted on the website for donations
- December 2017 board meeting minutes approved. Jessica motioned. Tiffany seconded. Passed unanimously.
- Tiffany motioned to adjourn the meeting. Andrew seconded. Passed unanimously.
- Holly will send student submissions to Tiffany for newsletter. Done
- Scott will ask Dean to provide website administrative access to Jessica. Ongoing
- Scott will ask Dean if he wants to continue as webmaster. Done – will still be involved
- Tiffany will ask award nominators to send short blurbs about successful awardees to use at banquet and in press release. Ongoing – Tiffany waiting to hear back from 1 person
- Tiffany will send award info to Jessica so she can prepare a press release to distribute immediately after JAM. Done – Do we want the press release to include photo contest winners and iNaturalist winners?
- Tiffany to create bylaw wording for board member removal Done
- Scott to review revised sections of JAM manual to determine what revisions are still needed; incorporate existing revisions into manual. Ongoing
- Memorial in JAM program for the late founder Cory Gray of Coda Net Guns – who will prepare this? Done
- Tiffany will provide language requesting a newsletter editor to send to our email list. Done
- Tiffany will touch base with Holly about contacting students to get articles for “Student Corner” in the next newsletter. Done
- Tiffany will ask Richard Ockenfels, Tice Supplee, and Dave Brown if they would submit newsletter articles reflecting on the history of the chapter. Ongoing
- Holly will remind students who received funding to attend parent society conference to submit an article for the newsletter. Done
- Jessica and Chris will work to set up an online membership and communication system for our chapter. Ongoing – should be completed before JAM
Andrew is helping Jessica get PayPal set up. Jessica is working on membership cards and application forms. Do we want a computer and screen available at JAM to allow folks to register membership on the new portal?
- Scott will check in with Dean about web passwords and other questions. Ongoing
- Kay will reach out to Grand Canyon University contact (and copy Holly) to see if she has questions about setting up a TWS chapter or needs help navigating the process. Done – Holly will be going to GCU this month
- Tiffany will contact BLM for additional information on the Leave No Trace workshop to determine if it’s appropriate for AZTWS to host. Ongoing
- Kay will coordinate 50th anniversary t-shirt creation. In production
- Treasurer’s Report
- Andrew sent one page financial report and officer’s report to National. This year they will send out the tax information.
- Completed end of year annual report for the JAM meeting
- Continuing Education Report – completed
- Audit – According to the bylaws this should be completed before JAM, however, this does not seem possible. Board voted to postpone this until February/early March. Andrew suggested that in the future we might want to change the due date in the bylaws.
- Wild Hare funds – currently $3800 in the account. Total interest earned is $380 over the lifetime of the account. Total award cost will be $200 ($100 for each person). This money will be taken out of the checking account instead.
- JAM – $48,000 income without expenses. This should cover everything.
- Newsletter Report
- Tiffany – Winter newsletter went out last week
- Spring newsletter is due March 16th
- Still looking for new Newsletter Editor – Jeremy Krones from Diablo Trust is interested, however, we want to make sure Diablo Trust interests match up with TWS values.
- Membership Report
- Jessica moved the membership list
- Nothing else new to report
- Webmaster’s Report
- Jessica had nothing new to report
- Opportunities Report
- Callie not on call (no updates)
- Student Liaison Report
- Holly received articles about student’s experience at the national meeting from ASU and University of Arizona and sent them to Tiffany.
- NAU – turns out that they did not receive funding for the conference so they will not be sending an article
- University of Arizona does not want JAM discount for volunteering. Instead they want this money to be put to a good cause. We will put this to the scholarship fund instead.
- Scholarship funds – Kay will send out an announcement for donating (this will be open until the end of May). The PayPal link can be reposted on the website for donations.
- Conservation Affairs
- Jon Hanna not on call (no updates)
- Continuing Education
- Stan not on call (no updates)
- Nominations and Awards
- Nominations – There is currently a tie for the board member position. Tiffany will evaluate and will send out information if the board members need to vote.
- Awards – Tiffany is waiting to hear back from one person to see if they will be attending JAM. The other five have confirmed.
- The person receiving the Lifetime Achievement Award will not be able to attend, but Carol will accept on their behalf.
- Borderlands Institute for the Study and Conservation of Understudied Animals
- Meeting February 15th at 11 am
- Anyone not able to attend could call into the conference line (Let Kay know if you are interested in doing this)
- Other Current/New Business
- Receipts for JAM registration will not be included in packets. We do need to make sure that folks at the registration table can guide people on how to get their receipts online.
Adjournment at 4:42 p.m.
- Tiffany motioned. Andrew seconded. Passed unanimously.