September 2018 Board Meeting Minutes

AZTWS Board Meeting

Conference Call Notes

September 24, 2018

3:00–3:52 p.m.

[Download the PDF]

Present: Tiffany Sprague (President), Jessica Moreno (President Elect), Andrew Jones (Treasurer), Valerie Horncastle (Recording Secretary), Audrey Owens (Board Member), Scott Sprague (BioBlitz Chair), Clarissa Starbuck (Webmaster), Chris Carrillo (Membership Committee)

Board members absent: Holly Hicks (Corresponding Secretary), Melissa Merrick (Board Member)

Action items

  • Audrey will book the Sharp Creek Campground for Nov. 10
  • Scott will follow up with Jesse Lewis from ASU to see if he is interested in participating in the fall retreat.  Andrew will finish a brief article for the newsletter discussing the funds we have dispensed via continuing education, supporting students to attend the national meeting via the parent society, and thanking folks who donated money to supporting students to attend the national meeting.
  • Jessica will send out information on award nominations for JAM.
  • Jessica will check in with individuals on whether current board members will be interested in staying in their positions.
  • Scott will write up a small blurb on our involvement with the Petrified Forest BioBlitz for the newsletter.
  • Tiffany will send out a doodle poll for a new time for the December meeting.
  • Tiffany will have a discussion with Melissa and Holly to see if U of A TWS might be interested in helping with a Turtle Workshop this spring.

Motions

  • Approval of August 27, 2018, board meeting minutes – moved by Valerie, seconded by Andrew; passed.
  • Meeting adjournment – moved by Jessica, seconded by Andrew; passed.

Proceedings

Old Business/Previous Action Items

  • Jessica will discuss website options with Andrew (e.g., pointing our domains to WordPress rather than using GoDaddy). Ongoing
  • Jessica will update the website with the new Continuing Education grant amounts. Done
  • Jessica will ensure that the template for the online membership and communication system was sent out for review. Ongoing
  • Jessica and Chris will work to set up an online membership and communication system for our chapter. Ongoing – will happen with Member Planet. Should be done this week and Jessica will send everyone updates.
  • After MemberPlanet is updated, Tiffany will ask Chris to download member names from the parent society monthly. Ongoing
  • Jessica will send out a google doc of a list of actionable items to help increase diversity. Done
  • Jessica will track down photos and post non-board chapter leadership positions on the website. Done
  • Holly will work with Jessica on making an inventory of our promotional items (hats, tshirts, etc.), pricing, and photos for the website. Ongoing – waiting for photos, prices, and inventory
  • Andrew will schedule audit. Ongoing
  • Tiffany will ask Bill Dunn to include Jessica on JAM 2019 planning calls and will work to find at least one other person to participate on behalf of AZTWS. Ongoing – Tiffany will remind Bill
  • Tiffany will respond to the conference sponsorship request. Done
  • Tiffany will send a letter on behalf of the chapter to Jeff Flake about the Recovering America’s Wildlife Act. Done
  • Tiffany will explore setting up a Google Drive list of potential future newsletter articles and reserve of articles to use when needed. Ongoing
  • Melissa will ask Brian Blais if he’s interested in being Newsletter Editor. Done – he will be editor in an interim capacity
  • Audrey, Kay, and Melissa will coordinate a fall gathering for members. Ongoing
  • Melissa will reach out to professors at U of A to see if they’d be interested in giving an informal talk at the fall retreat. Ongoing
  • Scott will ask Jesse Lewis from ASU to see if he’s interested in teaching techniques during the retreat. Done
  • Audrey will look into group campsites in Payson area for the fall retreat. Done, Audrey will book for Nov. 10
  • Melissa will coordinate with the SARSEF winner on “day with a biologist” options. Done – Andrew is taking her out in the field on Nov. 3rd
  • Scott to review revised sections of JAM manual to determine what revisions are still needed; incorporate existing revisions into manual. Ongoing
  • Tiffany will remind committee heads about reviewing revised sections of JAM manual. Ongoing
  • Tiffany to create bylaw wording for board member removal. Ongoing
  • Other Old Business? None

Current Business

  • Fall Mixer (Audrey)
    • The mixer will be held at the Sharp Creek Campground in the Payson Area on November 10th. There is the possibility that we might get the fee waived. If not Andrew says AZTWS can cover the cost. Saturday activities include a tour of the fish hatchery and herping around the area. Saturday evening we will discuss roles and involvement with the chapter. Other options could include a brief stop and discussion of the 260 project by Scott Sprague. Jesse Lewis might be interested in participating in the retreat. We are currently waiting to hear back. Folks could potentially camp Friday evening since there will be day time activities on Saturday.
    • Details of the retreat need to be submitted by the end of the week if we want them printed in the newsletter.
  • Treasurer’s Report (Andrew)
    • General fund: $5,047.89 Savings fund: $31,194.15 Continuing education: $2,148.31 Memorial garden: $734.82 WildHare: $3,862.97 Andrew is working on a brief article discussing the funds we have dispensed via continuing education, supporting students to attend the national meeting via the parent society, and thanking folks who donated money to supporting students to attend the national meeting.
    • For the upcoming or the next newsletter issue, Heather Bateman’s students could write an article on ongoing research.
  • Online Shopping (Tiffany)
    • Hoorags have been delivered and are already selling.
  • JAM 2019 planning (Tiffany)
    • Rachel Williams is potentially interested in representing AZTWS in planning calls, as well as Jessica. Board and Award Nominations – Jessica will send out information. Award nominations should be submitted by November 15th. Board nominations need to be announced to the membership 1 month before the annual board meeting. Jessica will check in with individuals on whether current board members are interested in keeping their positions.
  • Newsletter Report (Tiffany)
    • Brian Blais is our new interim Newsletter Editor. He received the SW Section piece. Two different pieces will be written about the BioBlitz (Scott will write a blurb about AZTWS involvement). There will be an article on the Willow Creek Preserve and ADOT is writing a piece on Environmental Training.
  • Membership Report (Jessica and Chris)
    • Chris is working on updating our member list and requested a list from the parent society. Jessica is working on getting names into MemberPlanet.
  • Webmaster’s Report (Clarissa)
    • Nothing new to report
  • Opportunities Report (Callie – not on call)
    • Nothing new to report. Event calendar is up to date.
  • BioBlitz (Scott)
    • Scott received an invitation for the AZTWS to participate and help support the Charlie Painter BioBlitz. The BioBlitz is scheduled for July 26-27 2019. The event covers SW Arizona and SE New Mexico with the Chiricahua Desert Museum being the host site. PARC (Partners in Amphibian and Reptile Conservation) meeting will overlap with some of the locations and activities of the BioBlitz.
    • Scott would like individuals to contact him if they are interested in helping prep or be a SME (subject matter expert). We are hoping to build a more structured approach for this BioBlitz. They are currently outreaching for butterfly and bee experts.
    • Potential 2019 Turtle Workshop – Agua Caliente Park in Tucson plans to remove some of their sliders and would like to have a trapping event next spring (March). Cristina Jones requested help with this effort. Tiffany will discuss with Melissa and Holly to see if U of A TWS might be interested in helping. If anyone else is interested in helping with the event let Tiffany know.
  • Conservation Affairs (Jon not on call)
    • Nothing new to report.
  • Borderlands Foundation for Understudied Plants and Animals (Kay not on call)
    • Nothing new to report.
  • Student Liaison Report (Holly not on call)
    • Nothing new to report.
  • Future Meetings
    • The November 26 meeting will be shifted to 4 p.m. Tiffany will send out a doodle poll for a new date for the December meeting.

Jessica motioned to adjourn, Melissa seconded. 3:52pm adjournment

Comments are closed.