AZTWS Board Meeting
February 28, 2017
Attendees: Kay Nicholson (President), Tiffany Sprague (President-Elect), Scott Sprague (Past President, Melanie Tluczek (Recording Secretary), Jessica Moreno (Corresponding Secretary), Andrew Jones (Treasurer), Holly Hicks (Board Member), Dana Warnecke (Past Treasurer)
Board Members Absent: Audrey Owens (Board member)
• Kay to send letter to all award recipients after the JAM.
• Tiffany to create bylaw wording for board member removal.
• Andrew will meet with Dana to transfer names on financial accounts.
• Dana will update the Registration section of the JAM manual.
• Scott will pull the JAM manual revisions together.
• Holly will remind students to submit articles with their JAM reimbursement requests.
• All board members review the continuing education survey and provide any comments.
• Jessica to prepare press release about chapter award winners,
• Jessica submit press release on award winners to newspapers and to Dean, along with nomination letters, for posting on our website.
• Tiffany will investigate options for participating in the March for Science.
• Kay motioned, Scott seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Approval of January 2017 Board Meeting Minutes
• Scott made a motion to approve January meeting minutes. Tiffany seconded. None opposed.
• Winter newsletter sent off.
• The manual needs updating, Kay will send Dean edits to update. Jessica offered to help with website.
• Kay sent notification letter for award to recipients who were not at JAM.
• Letter to all award recipients will be sent later.
• Scott notified parent society of board changes.
• Tiffany started creating the by-law wording for board member removal.
• Scott sent annual report to the parent society. This was not the AZ board specific report. Financials have not been sent.
• Chapter officer report completed and sent to parent society.
• Letter sent to Dana for changing officers on chapter bank account.
• Scott putting together something for the travel grant for women of wildlife up to $500 to support membership or active participation.
1. Treasurers report (Dana/Andrew)
a. Dana reconciled balance due to the AZ/NM Chapter of AFS for costs associated with the JAM. Only loose end is T-shirt situation. The cost for the five extra T-shirts ordered for walk-ins were completely covered by walk-ins; nothing is owed to AFS for T-shirts.
b. Andrew will be meeting with Dana to transfer names on accounts & exchange information.
c. Dana will continue to help draft the registration section of the JAM manual.
d. Scott will help pull the Jam manual pieces together.
2. Newsletter report (Tiffany)
a. Winter issue is out
b. Call for submissions on spring newsletter. Submissions due March 17.
3. Membership (Chris)
a. No report
4. Webmaster report (Dean)
a. No report
5. Opportunities report (Callie)
a. No report
6. Student liaison report (Holly)
a. Holly will get articles from students as part of their JAM expense reimbursement responsibilities and will send these to Tiffany for spring newsletter.
b. Holly will send reminder to students
7. Conservation affairs (John)
a. No report
8. Continuing education (Stan)
a. Stan not on the line
b. Kay got a few comments from board members about continuing education survey and will adjust the survey and re-send once all comments are in.
c. Jessica and Scott will email comments.
a. Dana and Scott confirmed that outstanding costs of extra t-shirts were covered by walk-in attendees.
b. Board members at last JAM agreed that it was one of the best JAM sessions they had ever been to. Board members commented that the free, local beer helped, and this should be repeated next year.
c. If we have JAM in Flagstaff again, Carol Chambers will help find a venue and may be able to get a discount on the conference center at Northern Arizona University.
d. Last 2 years attendance has been good, so the venue should accommodate about 420 people.
e. Kay has a list of people who have volunteered to chair committees or be on committees.
f. Board agreed to start nailing down location in the early summer. Will start monthly calls in July or August.
10. Parent society membership
a. 2 board members still need to pay their dues.
b. Parent society needs to have everything in line for March meeting.
• Kay – fun shoot may happen in May, previously 3 years go. Jonathan Hicks is helping get it planned. Need to get planning going in the next few months.
• Tiffany asked if the parent society is involved in the March for Science. Kay had not heard. Board discussed whether this is something we should be involved in, and agreed to continue discussion. Tiffany offered to investigate.
• Techniques workshop (Holly)
- Workshop is at capacity. Scott mentioned that we may want to do 2 days. Holly mentioned that people drop off the second day. Also, we may get drop outs due to holiday this year. Scott and Holly agreed to keep it at 1 day this year and consider a 2 day option next year.
- This will be added on to agenda for next month. Holly will report more information at that time.
• Meeting times and dates
- Board agreed to continue meeting on the 4th Monday of the month at 3:00 pm.
- Kay will send Jessica letters sent to each award winner so she can get started on press release. Will include awards info in the spring newsletter.
- Jessica needs quotes from participants for a press release.
Good of the Order / Other?
• Kay motioned to adjourn. Seconded by Scott.
• 4:10 PM meeting adjourned