- This event has passed.
SIA Watering and Weeding in Bear Canyon
May 18 @ 8:00 am - 2:00 pmFree
Watering and Weeding in Bear Canyon
May 19th, 2018 @ 8:00am – 2:00pm
Join SIA staff in Bear Canyon for a day of habitat restoration! Our work will focus on watering native plants that we’ve recently installed – helping them to get established until the relief of the monsoon rains come!
If you’ve been working in Bear Canyon with us recently, you know that we have been working hard to remove invasive grasses from the allong the creek, and planting native plants that will benefit wildlife in our wake. Now we need to make sure our new additions to the canyon are able to get established! Come out and help us hold the space we’ve cleared of invasive fountain grass!
PROJECT SCHEDULE (8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.)
- 8:00 a.m.: Meet SIA staff at the south end of the Safeway parking lot at the NE corner of Sabino Canyon Rd and Tanque Verde Rd to carpool into our work site.
- 2:00 p.m.: We will arive back at our meeting spot.
Our work will involve watering and mulching the plants we’ve installed earlier this year, as well as clearing Bermuda grass from areas that we planted. We will be hiking on a desert trail to our worksite, but then will be working in loose, uneven terrain, while carrying tools and/or buckets of water, and negotiating a potentially flowing stream. Volunteers shold feel comfortable working in these conditions, but do not need to have prior training to participate, and SIA will provide all tools necessary.
WHAT TO BRING
- IMPORTANT: United States Forest Service requires closed-toe shoes for this project. Failure to comply means you will not be able to work with us. We also reccomend participants wear long pants, and long sleeves.
- Water and any snacks/lunch you might need for a morning working outside.
- Sun protection (ex. wide-brimmed hat, sunblock)
PROVIDED BY SIA
- Site background and activity instruction.
- Tools and materials.
- Volunteer agreement.
- This project will be led by Madeline Ryder. If you have any questions please feel free to email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Snake season is upon us! Please be careful when placing hands and feet; notify staff of any hazards as soon as possible.
- Dogs are not allowed on this project.