- This event has passed.
SIA Walnut Collection Trip
August 15, 2018 @ 8:30 am - 4:30 pmFree
Walnut Collection Trip
August 15th, 2018 @ 8:30am – 4:30pm
Sky Island Alliance is partnering with the National Forest Service and Borderlands Restoration to create a diverse plant palette for restoration work in Bear Canyon! Walnuts are especially important because they provide food for the Santa Catalina gray squirrel, a sub-species of the Arizona gray squirrel that seems to be less common than it used to be due to habitat changes and competition with the introduced Abert’s squirrel. The seeds we collect will be grown out to be re-planted in Bear Canyon, and other nearby canyons.
PROJECT SCHEDULE & LOCATION
- If you would like a ride to the worksite from the downtown area, we will be leaving the SIA office (406 S 4th Ave) at 7:45AM.
- If you’d like to meet us on the east side of town, we will meet at the south end (near Tanque Verde Rd) of the Madera Village Shopping Center (NE corner of Tanque Verde and Catalina Highway) parking lot at 8:30AM
- We will work though the day with a break for lunch and plan on being back to our meeting spot by 4:30PM, if not before.
THE WORK AND WHAT TO KNOW
Our tasks will involve collecting seeds from targeted plant species. Volunteers do not need to have prior training to participate. Sky Island Alliance and/or Borderlands Restoration will provide all tools and instruction as well as extra copies of our volunteer waivers which need to be signed by each participant only once per calendar year.
WHAT TO BRING
- Water, snacks, and lunch.
- Sturdy footwear (ex. hiking boots) with closed toes is required by the Forest Service. We also recommend rain gear and sun protection (ex. wide-brimmed hat, sunblock, long sleeved shirt and long pants) depending on weather conditions.
Contact Bryon Lichtenhan at email@example.com