- This event has passed.
SIA: Native Plantings at Ramsey Canyon Ponds
July 30 - August 1Free
SIA Native Plantings at Ramsey Canyon Ponds
July 30, 2018 @ 3:00pm – August 1, 2018 @ 6:00pm
SIA is partnering with The Nature Conservancy’s Ramsey Canyon Preserve to install native plants around some newly created ponds. Many native animals are sure to benefit from this new habitat, and we want to jump start the revegetation process with some plants that will be beneficial to as many species as possible.
PROJECT SCHEDULE & LOCATION
Volunteers can either join us for the entire project, and camp with us, or join us just for the work each day. Folks coming out each day should meet with us at the Ramsey Canyon Preserve parking area at 7:30 each morning.
- Monday: Meet at 3:00 pm at our office: 406 S 4th Ave, Tucson, AZ 85701 at the SW corner of 4th Ave and 14th St. To carpool or caravan to the site. There is plenty of parking in our lot off 14th as well as along the streets.
- Monday: If you wish to drive yourself to our campsite in Miller Canyon, you may meet us there after 5:00 pm Monday evening (directions will be sent to registered participants) keep a lookout for our green SIA signs pointing the way.
- Tuesday: We will start work at the site in Ramsey Canyon at 7:30 am, work throughout the day with a break for lunch, and be back to our campsite by 5:00 pm (or earlier).
- Wednesday: Much like Tuesday, we will start work at the site in Ramsey Canyon at 7:30 am, work throughout the day and break for lunch, but at the end of the day, we will head back to Tucson for an arrival around 6:00 pm (or earlier).
THE WORK AND WHAT TO KNOW
We will be installing native plants that will benefit pollinators and wildlife, as well as help the site return to a natural appearance as soon as possible. Be prepared to get dirty, maybe even muddy, but rest assured that there will be tasks for all levels of ability.
WHAT TO BRING
- Camping gear, if you wish to join us for the whole trip.
- A minimum of 6 meals worth of food for yourself, as well as any snacks you might want.
- Camp cooking and eating gear as needed, though SIA will provide our camp kitchen set-up as well.
- Reusable water bottle(s).
- Binoculars – this is a fabulous birding spot!
- Sturdy footwear (ex. hiking boots) that you don’t mind getting dirty or muddy
- Sun protection (ex. wide-brimmed hat, sunblock, long sleeved shirt and long pants)
- Rain gear: monsoon season will be upon us after all!
SIA will provide all tools and work gloves, though if you have a pair of gloves you like, feel free to bring them.
Contact Bryon Lichtenhan at email@example.com