AZTWS Board Meeting
Meeting Minutes – Final
December 18, 2017
Attendees: Kay Nicholson (President), Tiffany Sprague (President Elect), Jessica Moreno (Corresponding Secretary), Holly Hicks (Board Member), Audrey Owens (Board Member), Scott Sprague (Past President), Chris Carrillo (Membership Chair)
Board Members Absent: Andrew Jones (Treasurer)
- Holly will send student submissions to Tiffany for newsletter.
- Scott will ask Dean to provide website administrative access to Jessica.
- Scott will ask Dean if he wants to continue as webmaster.
- Tiffany will ask award nominators to send short blurbs about successful awardees to use at banquet and in press release.
- Tiffany will send award info to Jessica so she can prepare a press release to distribute immediately after JAM.
- November 2017 board meeting minutes approved. Jessica motioned. Holly seconded. Passed unanimously.
- Tiffany motioned to adjourn the meeting. Holly seconded. Passed unanimously.
Approval of past board meeting minutes
- November 27, 2017 – Jessica moved to approve. Holly seconded. Passed unanimously.
- Andrew will submit a feature article about bighorn sheep and mountain lion work being done by AGFD for the newsletter. Done.
- Tiffany will ask Richard Ockenfels, Tice Supplee, and Dave Brown if they would submit newsletter articles reflecting on the history of the chapter. Ongoing.
- Holly will remind students who received funding to attend parent society conference to submit an article for the newsletter. Done.
- Jessica and Chris will work to set up an online membership and communication system for our chapter. Ongoing.
- Scott will check in with Dean about web passwords and other questions. Ongoing.
- Kay will reach out to Grand Canyon University contact (and copy Holly) to see if she has questions about setting up a TWS chapter or needs help navigating the process. Ongoing. (Kay sent a message but has not received a response.)
- Tiffany will contact BLM for additional information on the Leave No Trace workshop to determine if it’s appropriate for AZTWS to host. Ongoing.
- All board members should either participate in the BISCUA Doodle poll or let Kay know if they would prefer not to participate in the meeting. On hold.
- Kay will coordinate 50th anniversary t-shirt creation. Ongoing.
- Tiffany to create bylaw wording for board member removal. Ongoing.
- Scott to review revised sections of JAM manual to determine what revisions are still needed; incorporate existing revisions into manual. Ongoing.
- Jonathan Hicks to arrange memorial in JAM program for the late founder Cory Gray of Coda Net Guns. Ongoing. (Kay will check with him to see if he’s planning to continue.)
- Tiffany will provide language requesting a newsletter editor to send to our email list. Ongoing. (Was included in previous email but will be sent again.)
- Tiffany will touch base with Holly about contacting students to get articles for “Student Corner” in the next newsletter. Done.
- Treasurer’s Report
- Andrew not on call. He had emailed the Q3 report and is working on end of year financial planning, which is due to parent society in January.
- Newsletter Report
- Tiffany – Deadline last Friday but still waiting on some submissions.
- Holly – Heard from UA; did not get a final draft from ASU; nothing from NAU. Holly will send what she has to Tiffany.
- Membership Report
- Jessica – Looking to move membership list to Member Planet. Demo scheduled for tomorrow to review software. Hope to have launched and ready by JAM so we can showcase it there.
- Currently have 222 members + ~300 additional non-member contacts.
- Webmaster’s Report (Dean)
- Jessica needs admin access to website. Scott will ask Dean to provide this access.
- Scott will ask Dean if he wants to continue as Webmaster or relinquish that role.
- Jessica happy to continue operating as Webmaster.
- Opportunities Report
- Callie not on call. She told Kay she had nothing to report.
- Student Liaison Report
- Holly has been sending reminders on JAM and need for student reports.
- Conservation Affairs
- Jon Hanna not on call.
- Continuing Education
- Stan not on call.
- Nominations and Awards (Tiffany)
- Nominations – Recording Secretary election over; waiting for acceptance confirmation from Valerie Horncastle. Regular election ballot sent out on Dec. 15; voting ends Jan. 19. Remember to vote!
- Awards – Committee met and chose one awardee for each category for which someone was nominated.
- Tiffany will ask nominators to send short blurbs about awardees to use at banquet and in press release. Tiffany will send award info to Jessica so she can prepare a press release for release immediately after JAM.
- Borderlands Institute for the Study and Conservation of Understudied Animals
- On hold.
- Fun Shoot
- On hold.
Adjournment at 4:49 p.m.
- Tiffany motioned. Holly seconded. Passed unanimously.